Tips: Preparing for Breastfeeding
1. Learn all you can about breastfeeding before your baby arrives. Taking a specialised breastfeeding class helps you to understand how breastfeeding works, gives you tools for success and the confidence to get off to a great start. Preferably try to find a class held by a qualified lactation consultant.
2. Prepare for a delivery where there is MINIMAL SEPARATION between mom and baby. Part of your birth plan can include:
- Opting for a natural delivery
- Where this is not possible ask for a gentle c/section where baby is placed in skin-to-skin contact with mom as soon as possible after delivery.
- Room-in with your baby.
3. Have a postpartum plan: Communicate your intention to breastfeed with the staff of the establishment where you deliver your baby. A lactation consultant can help you set up a realistic plan of action around feeding your baby.
4. Stock up on your gear for feeding. Here are some of my favourite essentials from Cherry Melon's Feeding range:
- Feeding Bras (have a few different options)
- Breasties for those engorged days.
- Front opening PJs (great for feeding and skin-to-skin)
- Feeding Cami
5. Nutrition: Get a stash of easy to prepare snacks and freezer meals ahead of time. Eating well and staying hydrated gives you the energy you need to be a mama.
By Claire Moffatt, Lactation Consultant | Grow Lactation
Maternity Pants. Wh...
Congratulations, mama! The journey of pregnancy is a remarkable one, but it also brings with it wardrobe challenges, starting with those ever-tigh...Read More
Mama Gift Guide
What is a good gift to give a pregnant woman? With a little human on the way, there's so much to celebrate and be grateful for! Need some help find...Read More
5 Early Symptoms of...
You're at a crossroads, feeling both excited and nervous about the possibility of being pregnant. Beyond the missed period, there are subtle pregna...Read More