Tips for the Perfect Maternity Photoshoot
Why should I do a Maternity Photoshoot?
Pregnancy is a fleeting phase and it’s easy to get caught up in the whirlwind of all the changes happening to your body, the doctor’s appointments, baby prep, and daily life. Maternity photoshoots are a fantastic, fun way to document the nine months of your life-changing pregnancy journey for several reasons:
- Celebrate Motherhood: A maternity photoshoot allows you to honour the incredible journey of becoming a mother. It’s an opportunity to embrace your changing body and the new life growing within you.
- Create Lasting Memories: These photos serve as a tangible reminder of this unique time in your life. They’re something you can look back on with nostalgia and share with your child as they grow.
- Boost Confidence: Many mothers feel more beautiful and confident during pregnancy than ever before. A maternity photoshoot can help you see and embrace this newfound self-assuredness.
If you’re looking to capture some stunning maternity photos, we’ve put together a few tips to make sure you get the perfect shots.
When to do a Maternity Photoshoot?
Maternity photoshoots can be done whenever you feel comfortable, however most photographers recommend that the best time is during the third trimester, around 30 - 36 weeks. At this stage, your baby bump has a beautiful round shape and your belly won’t yet be too big or uncomfortable.
Once you know when you want to do your maternity photoshoot, you need to plan ahead. It’s a good idea to book your maternity photoshoot at least three months in advance. Give yourself plenty of time to find the right photographer, choose your outfit and think about any creative ideas you might want to incorporate into your shoot. Planning ahead also means that you won’t have any last-minute stress and panic when the time comes.
Choosing the Right Photographer for your Maternity Photoshoot
The first and most crucial step to planning your maternity photoshoot is choosing the right photographer. Consider these factors when making your decision:
- Experience: Look for a photographer who specializes in maternity photography. Their experience will ensure a smooth experience and beautiful photos of this moment in time.
- Style: You want their style to align with your vision. Do you prefer classic, artistic, or candid shots? Review their portfolio and find a photographer whose style resonates with you.
- Location: Decide whether you want an indoor or outdoor session in a scenic location, or a combination of both. Discuss whether these options are available with the photographer.
- Budget: Maternity photographers come in various price ranges. Determine your budget in advance and find a photographer who offers packages within your financial comfort zone.
What should I wear for my Maternity Photoshoot
Consider flowy dresses, form-fitting gowns, or keep it cool and casual, if that’s more your style - it’s up to you! Just make sure that whatever you choose is comfortable, flattering and fits well.
When it comes to colours, you can never go wrong with a white maternity dress or soft and calming neutrals such as stone and grey. Add a few pops of colour for a bit of fun.
Maternity Photoshoot Dresses
Your style and vision are important factors to consider when choosing your maternity photoshoot dress, as well as comfort and fit. Here are some popular types of dresses for your shoot:
- Flowy Maxi Dress: A timeless choice that allows you to show off your baby bump elegantly while providing a touch of glamour and movement. These dresses are perfect for outdoor shoots, particularly in natural settings.
- Off-Shoulder or V-neck Dresses: Dresses with off-shoulder or V-neck designs add a touch of sophistication and can be great for highlighting your décolletage and creating a soft, intimate atmosphere for your photos.
- Bodycon Dresses: Designed to hug your curves in all the right places, this is the trendy choice for modern maternity photoshoots. These dresses highlight your bump and showcase your style.
- Two-Piece Sets: Opt for a crop top and skirt - these sets can be mixed and matched and worn in a variety of ways, allowing more versatility in creating different looks.
- Boho Dresses: Flowy, bohemian-style dresses with floral prints or earthy tones create a laid-back, ethereal vibe. They work well for outdoor shoots, especially in nature.
Remember to choose dresses and outfits that make you feel comfortable and confident. The right choice depends on your personal style, the location of the photoshoot, and the overall vibe you want to capture in your maternity photos.
Maternity Photoshoot Ideas
Depending on where you live, the possibilities are almost endless - from romantic beach scenes to beautiful woodland settings and everything in between. Choose a location that makes you feel comfortable and reflects who you are as a couple or family.
Top Tip: Try to stay close to a changing-room or bathroom facility, you never know when you’ll need to go, especially if you’re in the third trimester, when going to the loo becomes a regular activity.
What do I do at my Maternity Photoshoot
On the day of your photoshoot, relax and enjoy the experience. There are a couple of things you can do to get the best possible results:
- Posing: Trust your photographer’s guidance - they know how to capture your best angles and highlight your beautiful baby bump.
- Embrace the Emotion: Allow your emotions to shine through on your photos. Let your love and excitement for your baby show in your expressions.
- Natural Light: If you’re doing an outdoor shoot, the soft, natural light of early morning or late afternoon provides the most flattering results.
There are plenty of fun ideas to get creative with for your maternity photos. Perhaps include props that represent your or your family’s hobbies or interests, or taking cute photos with dad and/or the siblings.
Take some time to think about what you want out of the session and discuss it with your photographer before going ahead. With careful planning and preparation, you’ll be creating stunning memories that will last a lifetime.
Best of luck with your maternity photoshoot! xx team Cherry Melon
Maternity Pants. Wh...
Congratulations, mama! The journey of pregnancy is a remarkable one, but it also brings with it wardrobe challenges, starting with those ever-tigh...Read More
Mama Gift Guide
What is a good gift to give a pregnant woman? With a little human on the way, there's so much to celebrate and be grateful for! Need some help find...Read More
5 Early Symptoms of...
You're at a crossroads, feeling both excited and nervous about the possibility of being pregnant. Beyond the missed period, there are subtle pregna...Read More